Seguidores

domingo, 14 de junho de 2009

Stroke of Insight: A Window Inside the Brain - ABC News

"Home > Health Stroke of Insight: A Window Inside the Brain Scientist Jill Bolte Taylor
Given an 'Incredible Education' When She Suffered a Stroke
By KATIE ESCHERICH
June 24, 2008

SHARE Jill Bolte Taylor has always been fascinated by the brain.
Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor gets rare window into the mind when suffering stroke.'I've always been thinking about who am I as a brain, as a mind,' Taylor told 'Nightline' co-anchor Terry Moran. 'To me, it's absolutely phenomenal that this collection of cells is capable of creating for us a perception of the world that seems real and that feels safe. To me that is just a mind-blowing concept.'
Taylor's own perception of the world was shattered in an instant on Dec. 10, 1996, when the then 37-year-old suffered a left hemisphere stroke. As a scientist, the stroke offered a Taylor a rare opportunity to experience what she studied.
She has since shared that experience with the world in a best-selling book, 'My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey,' and a presentation she gave at the Technology, Entertainment, Design conference in February that has caught on like wildfire on the Internet.
The stroke was the moment that 'everything changed,' Taylor now says.
Related
WATCH: Great Frontier of the MindWATCH: Balance in the Brain Pursuit of Happiness: Your Behavior'In the course of four hours I watched my mind completely deteriorate in its ability to process all information coming in through my sensory systems,' she said. 'I had no ability to connect what was going on inside of my nervous system with the external world. I shifted away from being the person I was before.'
A Be"